Roofing Essentials - Insulation, Sarking & Ventilation
Your roof is the number one source of your home losing or gaining heat. Improve thermal efficiency of your home by installing insulation, sarking and ventilation.
Insulation slows the transfer of heat and cold through your ceiling, resulting in the regulation of temperature within living spaces all year round. Bulk insulation or ceiling batts fight the effects of convection heating in the roof space, while the best defence against radiant heat is a thin, non-flammable membrane known as sarking. Ceiling insulation is easy enough to retrofit if your roof space is accessible.
You only get one chance to install sarking and that is when you install a new roof. At Prime Roof Solutions we believe the benefits of sarking far outweigh the incremental cost of the product. Sarking is a flexible material that is laid under the roof battens during installation of the roof. Sarking helps protect your home from the elements and improves the overall insulation of the roof.
The benefits of sarking:
- Reflects up to 95% of radiant heat entering the roof space.
- Provides added thermal insulation year round.
- Prevents condensation – minimising the chance of staining and mould growth on ceilings.
- Effective dust barrier – reducing airborne dust entering your home and paving the way for
better use of the roof space.
- Fire safety – prevents burning embers entering the roof space.
- Provides additional weather protection during severe storms.
Whirly birds reduce both heat and moisture in the roof space. Installing them at opposite sides of the roof space allows for cross-ventilation, which can be even more beneficial.
- Expel hot air from your roof space in summer.
- Exhausts damp air in winter.
- Reduces air conditioning load.
- Helps reduce energy costs.